Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Six Month Old Fraternal Twin Boys: Getting Out Of The House

My fraternal twin boys turned 28 weeks today and I am beginning to learn how to get out of the house with them in tow. The cruel Jack Frost finally, I hope, went away for another year and springtime is upon us. Green grass, budding flowers, bunnies hopping along and me, people mowing their lawns exactly one minute after I put my boys down for a nap (I'm serious) ... a housebound stay-at-home twin mom itching to get out!
However, how do I stick to the damn schedule? I learn everything the hard way, especially with my boys. So, I now know the importance of a schedule, especially when it comes to sleep. Good naps during the day equals good sleep at night. My boys thrive on consistency and calm.
When they first wake in the morning, if it's a decent time, we do 8 ounce bottles, sitting in their chairs for 30 minutes to digest (and so I can do some things around the house), then they take turns in their play-yard-thingy-ma-bob and rolling around on a blanket on the floor. At the two-hour mark it's nap time. This continues all day until 6 p.m. bathtime. Then it's bottle, Zantac, Tylenol (they are teething like rabid dogs) and some food. We are currently doing one spoonful of oatmeal, a veggie and a fruit three times a day. Then it's lights out campers!
Today I had to take my husband to work (we are currently a one car family) because the boys had a doctor's appointment at 11 a.m. to see about their colds. I figure it's not serious since they don't have fevers and aren't in great distress but it was comforting to know for sure. So, that's two trips in the car into town and back (we live in the boonies). This really did a number on them and when we finally got home from the doctor's appointment, which took almost two hours, they were a mess. Hungry and tired but a tired where they are past the point of somewhat calmly taking a nap yet not at the point of no return.
Thankfully they are napping right now but I can't help but wonder how I can successfully get my big butt (still trying to lose the baby weight) out of the house with A & B in tow while not screwing up the whole day because then they won't sleep as well at night. Also, I am of the school of thought where activities outside of the home should benefit them -- a ride in the stroller to get fresh air ... that's about it because babies at their age don't need to do much else. Sleep, eat, play, repeat.
Yuck. If it's not one thing it's another. Am I right or am I right? I will get the hang of it and then things will change because that's life!

No comments:

Post a Comment