Friday, September 27, 2013

35 Weeks Pregnant With Twins - Still Waiting On Definitive Preeclampsia Test Results

I am 35 weeks pregnant with twin boys and boy do I have a case of tummy troubles. I'm gassy even though I'm not eating anything particularly bad. Perhaps it's because I have two boys, at least five pounds each, pushing my stomach into my throat!
Anyway, I was directed to call my OB/GYN today for results from my 24-hour urine test and liver test to determine if I have preeclampsia. This is particularly important because if I have the medical condition my scheduled C-section (Baby A is breech) moves from October 16 to next week. Eek! Yeah, it's only a couple weeks but whatever!
This morning I awoke at 5 a.m. having trouble breathing. Perhaps it was because, like my stomach, my two growing boys are squishing my lungs. However, it may have something to do with how my life is about to change forever and the preeclampsia diagnosis. Honestly, I wake up every hour during the night to pee and toss and turn so it didn't ruin the night. Being super pregnant with twins ruins every night while my husband sleeps like an angel floating on a cloud!
So, I rang my doctor mid-morning and she was with a patient so I awaited a return call. An hour and half later she called to tell me the lab didn't do the urine test correctly so they needed to retest it and would get back with the results later this afternoon - thank goodness I don't have to do the test over again. However, the liver test was fine so that means if I do have preeclampsia, it isn't bad because, if it was, my liver would be in bad shape.
So, the hours went by and around quitting time I decided to call for the results, especially since if I was OK I needed to continue my weekly appointments and didn't have one scheduled for next week. I called and guess what ladies and gentleman? No results! The nurse said they might get them over the weekend and, if so, my doctor may contact me. If not, I am to call Monday.
This waiting reminds me of pregnancy. You know something is going to happen but there's not much you can do until it happens. Yes, I could read about preeclampsia and get ready to have premature babies but that's about all I can do and I might not even have it! Yes, you can prepare for having children by reading everything and anything and buying every baby item known to man but, honestly, you won't know until it's 3 a.m. and you're elbow deep in poopie with two crying babies looking to you for comfort.
So ... I wait. I don't exactly know what I'm supposed to feel if I have preeclampsia. I don't feel terrible but, then again, I'm almost 36 weeks pregnant with two babies so I don't feel spectacular. Although I'm still waddling myself around the house - I don't leave home much - so I should be grateful!
I thought of something today while my mind was racing at 5 a.m. over how I am going to handle two babies. Instead of thinking, "How am I going to do this," I need to think, "OK. Let's figure out how to do this." Hopefully through the sleep deprivation and recovering from a C-section I will remember this ...

No comments:

Post a Comment