Wednesday, September 25, 2013

35 Weeks Pregnant With Twins: Attack of the Killer Kankles, Preeclampsia, Restless Legs, Carpal Tunnel

I am 35 weeks pregnant with twin boys. I had a checkup last week with my high-risk doctor and it went well, as detailed in my last post. It was my last checkup with him and he lauded me for a job well done -- referring to me as a woman with a body "made for twins" (I guess that's a compliment) -- so I was optimistic. Key word is was because my optimism got slapped in the face yesterday.
My newest development was kankles and swollen feet. So, we've got swollen, numb, achy hands which, I think, resemble baseball mitts, and swollen ankles and feet -- if I press down on my feet my finger leaves an impression ... gross. I hear this is all normal so I wasn't too worried until yesterday at my doctor's appointment when it was revealed my blood pressure is high.
Now, I realize after research (Googling it) you have high blood pressure if the top number (systolic -- look at me mom, I know big words!) is 140 above and the bottom number is 90 and above. Well my top number tested at 140 so, it could be worse but, then again, my blood pressure was great throughout my pregnancy so what gives?
Well, my doctor is concerned about preeclampsia, a medical condition characterized by high blood pressure and significant amounts of protein in the urine of a pregnant woman after 20 weeks (definition by Wikipedia). If we didn't treat it then it could turn into eclampsia, which is the life-threatening occurrence of seizures during pregnancy (again, thank you Wikipedia). Yikes! I read more about it yesterday but a lot of it was over my head so I figured out the gist.
So, my doctor sent me for bloodwork and a urine sample. Not just a simple urine sample but a 24-hour urine sample where I must pee-pee in a huge orange plastic jug ... although, seven hours in I notice this jug ain't so huge because it's almost full. According to directions, this jug must be refrigerated and, if I fill the jug, I must use a clean milk or water container for excess pee. I can't wait to deliver the frosty urine tomorrow to the laboratory before getting blood taken for a liver test -- although high blood pressure is the most visible sign, liver damage is also a sign.
My pregnancy had been going so well, minus a brief gestational diabetes scare, so this new development is discouraging. I know I'm almost at 36 weeks, which is the average for twins, so I shouldn't boo hoo. I should dig deep and unearth my inner gratefulness, wherever the hell it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment