Friday, September 20, 2013

34 Weeks Pregnant With Twins: Breech Baby, Trying The Optimistic Route

I am almost 35 weeks pregnant with twin boys and just saw an advertisement for peanut butter Pop-Tarts, so excuse me while I wipe drool from my chin.
Anyway, I had a doctor's appointment yesterday and ...
In Corner A we have a baby weighing in at 5.3 pounds.
In Corner B we have a baby weighing in at 4.15 pounds.
My fluid looks good, their umbilical cords are healthy and everything looks great except Baby A is still breech. He decided to switch sides of my belly -- moving from my right to my left -- but he's still somewhat laying across with his feet at the bottom. Picture a yin-yang and you will be picturing the position of my boys.  So, my plan is to keep chug-chug-chugging along until my scheduled C-section in T-minus 26 days! Let's hope I make it because I want those babies bigger and healthier!
My doctors, family, friends and strangers keep saying "you're almost there" and "you're nearing the finish line!" I don't think of Oct. 16 (or whenever they are born) as a finish line. Yeah, they will be out and about and I will slowly work towards getting my new body back after being taken over by two creatures for almost nine months but I'm about to reach the starting line of the craziest adventure of my life. A mother of twin boys!
I can still hardly wrap my head about the fact I will be a mother. Aren't I still a young adult and carefree? It's Friday night -- shouldn't I be drinking wine or a crisp, clean cherry vodka tonic or a seasonal fall beer while figuring out what I'll do this weekend? I don't even have a dog, an animal most couples use for practice before the big event. What if I get overwhelmed? What if I don't have what it takes to raise twins? What if I'm a bad mom? What if I lose myself?
These thoughts, and more, typically rear their head around bedtime. At first, I entertained them and, like watering a plant, they grew. They expanded and became less thought and more of a likelihood -- the unknown started to become known in my mind with assumptions and what-ifs.
That's until I started fighting back, I started answering these doubts with little bursts of optimism -- sometimes aloud, sometimes in my mind. I acknowledge the difficulty of the situation but remind myself it will be OK. I will get through the hard times and, anyway, there's no use being Debbie Downer because the boys are coming whether I am optimistic or not. It will be better if I get my mind straight now.
I know this optimism may not be a constant when the boys are here, especially in the difficult first months and year, but I can still try. All I can do is try my best, that's all any new mother can do and should expect of herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment