Tuesday, June 11, 2013

20 Weeks Pregnant With Twins: It's Starting To Sink In

I bought a shirt a few months ago when I realized I needed roomier clothing. It's a flowy, sleeveless maternity shirt -- nothing spectacular. This was during the days of hide-the-smallish-belly attire because I didn't look pregnant yet, I looked like I let myself go. I couldn't fathom my belly would grow large enough for this roomy shirt to fit properly but, at the urging of my mother (who's been around the block with four children), I purchased the shirt, took it home, washed it and hung it up in my closet.
I've ignored the shirt, overlooking it when apathetically searching for clothing. I know I'm pregnant and supposed to gain weight but it's hard to feel excited when I feel like Large Marge. Anyway, today, at 20 weeks pregnant with twins, I saw the shirt and gave it a shot. It's not tight - I still have room to grow - but it finally fits and that means ...
YES, I AM REALLY PREGNANT. YES, THERE ARE REALLY BABIES GROWING INSIDE ME.
This weekend my better half and I went to the mall to exchange some maternity clothing I received as a gift (I love receiving gifts of clothing that are too small ... NOT ... sorry, I'm bigger than that ...). After learning Motherhood Maternity is affordable and pretty cute, my man took me to lunch. Damn right he did because I was hungry! Duh! We couldn't find parking near the restaurant so we parked farther away and walked. We had to cross a few crosswalks and, lo and behold, people actually stopped, smiled and waved us on. I didn't think much of it until he mentioned those people stopped because I am visibly pregnant. Wow ...
YES, I AM REALLY PREGNANT.
This isn't to say I've been swigging booze and eating tons of mercury-ridden fish for months, riding rollercoasters and eating bowls of feta cheese, funneling wine and laying on my back in bed in an attempt to ignore my state. Yes, I know I'm pregnant and have been doing all the pregnancy-must-dos but it hadn't sunk in yet. I knew it but didn't quite believe it for some reason, maybe my brain is attempting to keep me from losing my mind so it's easing me into this life changing event.
It still boggles my mind daily to think in 18 weeks or less I will be the mother of twin boys ... I can hardly believe it and even typing it out in this blog post is scary but I'm starting to ... I want to say 'come to terms' but it's not like I'm dying, I'm having children (although people have told me my social life will die but I'm a bit of a hermit so more like my alone time will die). So, maybe instead of 'come to terms' we can say I'm starting to wrap my head around this whole me being pregnant thing.
It doesn't help I can hardly believe I'm 29, which is a great age to have children, so I think, "Wait, I'm not old enough to have kids!" This thinking hurts because then I remember I'm not 22, I'm 29, and that's a tough thing to be reminded of every now and then. Like a random slap in the face once a week.
This all makes me think of that scene in "Knocked Up" where Debbie and Alison are told to get in the long line at the nightclub instead of being quickly let in, which happens with attractive, young women. The doorman says: You old, she pregnant. Can't have a bunch of old pregnant bitches running around. That's crazy.
Yes, it sure is crazy.
As for updates in other areas, I finished registering at BabiesRus. We registered for the main items - cribs, car seats, pack and plays, bouncy seats, swings - and figure we can buy the smaller items on our own.
We are thinking of joining Costco or Sam's Club since we did our budget and the column containing the amount of money left over every month after the main bills are paid is not as huge as we wanted. We may have to say goodbye to HBO and unlimited data plans and hello to bulk diapers at Costco but I think it's good we save money, whether we are having babies or not.
We put together a list of people for our baby shower -- we are doing a joint shower with me inside with the ladies and the men outside barbecuing, drinking beer and ... being men. The presents will be helpful but I don't like being the center of attention and, unlike my bridal shower, I can't have a glass of wine to take the edge off ... so, that should be interesting.
We still have work to do on reorganizing the house but it certainly looks a lot better. Other than that, I'm hungry so I'm going to go eat a snack!

No comments:

Post a Comment