Wednesday, June 5, 2013

19 Weeks Pregnant: We Are Having Twin Boys And My Brain Doesn't Work Anymore

I'm 19 weeks pregnant with twin boys - we found out last week (my husband was so excited he fist pumped after the doctor left the room and whisper-screamed YES because, at last, his evil plan of two mini-me children has been activated).
Anyway, I'm convinced my brain no longer works. It's as if my thoughts are on the tip of my tongue, I know they're there but I can't reach them so I make coherent sense in my day-to-day-life, especially at work. This must be what Keanu Reeves feels like all the time ...
It's not to say I've totally lost my marbles ... just forgetfully foggy.
Let me take one skeleton out of the closet briefly and admit, a long time ago while in college, I smoked marijuana and, yes, I inhaled ... a lot. I quit after college when I realized a serious day job (newspaper editor) didn't mix with the sticky-icky -- i.e. my work suffered. That's how I know this feeling - it's like I'm slightly stoned 24-7 but instead of the green stuff I have hormones coursing through my veins which also make me emotional and hungry. At least I have the ultimate excuse, "Sorry, I'm pregnant and tired." Most people understand, even my self-obsessed boss who hates children and is frightened I have two growing inside of me because it will ruin my life apparently. #lovely I think she pities me while I secretly pity her because she's horrible.
I can't fight the stupidity, I must embrace it because there's no amount of Suduko puzzles that will help me now. I try to sleep a lot because I read mental fatigue while pregnant is a sign you aren't sleeping enough but I have to work so I can't sleep all day. I get about 9 hours a night, subtracted by a few trips to the bathroom as well as being awakened because I'm uncomfortable. I try to workout a few days a week, including a prenatal swimming class that rocks my world once a week. Other than that, me brain don't work so good hon.
Other gripes ... restless legs, which my husband and I have morphed into a song using the tune of George Michael's "Careless Whisper" -- "Restless legs have got no rhythm." Restless legs suck. I drink at least a gallon of water a day and I know this because I drink water out of a 32-ounce water bottle. I take calcium in the morning with my prenatal and potassium and magnesium at night. What more do you want from me body? I'm giving you all I got captain!
I got my hair cut shoulder length the other day, they took off about four inches.. I don't know why but now I feel like I'm becoming a stereotypical mom - of course my sister, the bitchy one, remarked about my mom-hair ... she's so nice. Mom = short hair, don't care. My husband said he likes it but he's being very nice to me because I'm a twin-carrying, hormonal woman and, honestly, when you ask a man if he likes your haircut, what's he going to say if he ever wants to eat homemade food and have sex again? Duh.
I haven't had weird cravings aside from eating hardboiled eggs and pickles in the first trimester because I was so nauseous those were the only things I could stomach. My new obsession is hummus but I have been thinking about Chinese food recently. I used to fantasize about a crisp white wine or a spicy red wine, the mellowness of a wine buzz, and now I think about General Tsos Chicken with a shrimp egg roll, cheese wontons and some hot and sour soup and the mellowness of sleeping. Weird.
I'm such a rube.

No comments:

Post a Comment