Tuesday, June 4, 2013

19 Weeks Pregnant With Twins: Registery, money, gifts, getting ready for babies

Thanks to Babycenter.com's weekly e-mails, I know I am 19 weeks pregnant with 21 weeks left (I could probably do the math but math isn't fun - and my high school algebra teacher told me to never do anything in life involving math ... )! However, since I'm having twins, those 21 weeks are actually 19 or less, hopefully at least 16 weeks so I make it to the uber-important 35 weeks mark!
So, it's time for hubby and me to get our shit together and remember to stop staying words like shit because we will be parents soon. The other weekend his handyman father came over and helped with touchup painting - I flew the coop because conflicting reports concerning the safety of painting when pregnant was enough for me to decide to be safe than sorry. Mr. Fix It returned this past weekend to help with heavy lifting as we (I helped by making tuna sandwiches) rearrange the home. He will return in a few weeks or so to paint (what-will-be the nursery) if we ever clear all the crap out of there -- but as I remind myself in mantra form: it's not finished but it's better than it was ... progress was made.
We are rearranging our home so it's baby friendly. I.e. we don't need a fancy dining room when the space could be used for a couch and open floor area for babies to play and us to be less worried they'll hurt themselves. And, let's be honest, we've eaten in there ... four times maybe and lived there for almost six years. Glad we registered for so much fancy china ... NOT. How about instead of those dinner plates you pay off a student loan?
We plan to donate items and furniture we've talked about donating for years, as well as other items we don't need. There's always time for decluttering and it feels amazing like I'm lighter, although I've gained weight (shocking) but that's another complaint for another day (I know I'm supposed to gain weight but I don't have to be happy about it!)
Anyway, we're slowly but surely getting our shit together, which also means registering! We asked around (i.e. my sisters, friend of sister with twins, long list from BabyCenter.com of what to get) and registered for the essentials. You know ... cribs, car seats, bathtub, etc. using Amazon ratings but registering on Babies-r-Us. It was stressful and we still need to add a few things, especially a video monitor thing-a-ma-jig, but I'm glad we didn't register in person because that would have been even more stressful. Hopefully after the shower - August - we will have a majority of what we need because, honestly, I'm worried about money.
It's not that we're broke as a joke but for some reason people told my husband babies aren't expensive and he believed them. Also, I suggested we take a diaper out of the box (his practical boss and coworkers were nice enough to buy us a box and a double stroller!) so he could try it out and he was worried it would dry up because he thought they had wipes in them ... thank goodness for the childbirth and baby classes we are taking next month. So, back to money: umm ... diapers alone are a lot, especially with twin babies to clean up after, and I won't be working. Honestly, I think we need to sit down and punch some numbers, which means we Google "How much do babies cost" and list our monthly expenses in comparison. Just as decluttering the home was beneficial on many levels, decluttering our bank account will be beneficial, although painful. Talking about money stinks worse than a dirty diaper after a major blow-out.
Anyway, we're making way for twin babies this fall whether we're ready or not!

No comments:

Post a Comment