Monday, July 1, 2013

23 Weeks Pregnant With Twin Boys: Tired, tired, tired and the moody blues

I'm 23 weeks pregnant with twin boys (17 weeks to go!) and have been asked constantly: "How do you feel?" Well ladies and gentleman, boys and girls, I'm tired and thirsty. Thirsty and tired. My doctor says this is normal - my body is working for three afterall. Although, I drink so much water, camels think I'm crazy. Cha-ching! Badda-bing!
That was a dumb joke but I don't care because I'm tired and moody and, as a pregnant woman, I get a free pass because I'm also told constantly by strangers and family alike: "Wow twins! You're going to be huge." Thank you, thank you so much because I wasn't already feeling whale-ish, especially as I waddle down the street amongst bikini clad, sundress wearing ladies. Summer, summer, summertime stinks when you're large and uncomfortable. Well, not waddle. I've caught myself waddling once or twice but I'm not full-blown waddle-woman yet. YET!
It's funny ... well not funny but whatever ... I've read about pregnancy side effects (for lack of a better word) and haven't felt the brunt of them until lately, not counting my first trimester nausea-o-rama. My mood is weird, fluctuating throughout the day and week from depressed to optimistic and in between, I'm exhausted and get exhaustion hangovers as in I did housework most of Saturday and went to the movies that evening (the Raisinets were divine, the Sprite was cold, and "The Heat" was funny) and Sunday I was worthless. My feet have started to ache (even upon waking, which is odd because duh, I was asleep for hours and hours - why do they hurt? Do I sleepwalk?), I can't think straight and zone out constantly, I'm forgetful (especially mid-sentence), I'm so thirsty I drink more than a gallon of water a day and even water before bed and throughout the night (when I wake up to pee from all the water I've been guzzling like I used to guzzle white wine) and when I arise in the morning what do my wondering eyes see in the toilet bowl? Pee the shade of a highlighter. Am I pregnant with twin boys or camels (although I have nothing against camels)? You be the judge.
Another gripe for the Almighty Complaint Department of Pregnant Women Everywhere is my dreams. What is up with my dreams? They are scary or erotic. Last night my best guy friend died in my dream. Before that the nightly lineup typically featured murder (sometimes I am a serial killer, sometimes I am going to be killed - don't worry, I didn't kill my friend last night, HIV got him, which is equally uplifting), mayhem and dark, twisted things or erotic but odd. What gives? Shouldn't I be dreaming about the babies growing inside me, my inadequacies as a mother, losing my children, forgetting I had children, etc. - you know, all the crap I think about only right before I am trying to fall asleep? Although, I was told bad dreams are good for post partum depression, which sounds lovely (if it's actually true) but also makes me wonder why the person who told me that is concerned about me having post partum depression in the first place. Oh snap! Sorry, did I tell you I'm moody?
Maybe my scary dreams mimic my fear in regards to raising twins. I won't know what to do, I'll be overwhelmed, it will be hard, I'll lose my identity ... Let's not forget giving birth isn't something women look back on fondly.
In more uplifting news, I did get 3D pictures of Baby A's face (Baby B was not cooperating) and he's a cutie. It's weird to think he's my son. I will have two sons. That's weird. I forgot to put on underwear today and made tea this morning but left it on the counter at home but I am allowed to have children - boggles the mind. For goodness sakes, I laugh at Peter Griffin's fart jokes. However, I think it's one of those things that's weird now but, eventually, I won't be able to think of life without my sons. So, let's end this post now before I start complaining again!

2 comments:

  1. I am 24 weeks pregnant today and having really bad mood swings.. After reading your post, I've had a good laugh as I am going through the same and feeling a tad better now, thank you darling :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I could help! It always helps me to have a sense of humor. It's better to laugh than to cry.

    ReplyDelete