Saturday, July 27, 2013

26 Weeks Pregnant With Twin Boys - Fatigue, Restless Legs, Excited For Baby Shower, To Breastfeed Or Not

In two days I'll be 27 weeks pregnant with twin boys and I sometimes feel like a machine stuck on repeat. Wake up, drink water, eat healthy food, drink more water to keep nighttime restless legs at bay, eat more healthy food, rest, maybe walk/swim, rest, think about eating cinnamon rolls, tell self not to eat cinnamon rolls, eat cinnamon rolls, eat tums, drink more water at night because restless legs are irritating, repeat. Sadly for me, but better for my unborn sons, I don't eat cinnamon rolls everyday but everything else about this daily formula is constant (at least during the week). It's weird to think of pregnancy this way, with more focus on its mundane nature instead of the miracle of life. I should be thankful because pregnancy can quickly move from mundane to frightening. I'm lucky my main gripe is restless legs and a yeast infection I just got (although I hear this is normal because, as a pregnant woman, my immunity is down).
Here I sit Saturday afternoon, full from a big lunch (the weekday is for healthy food and the weekend is for healthy food mixed with treats), and am positioned just right on the couch with pillows cushioning my left side, right side and belly. I don't have restless legs yet, they typically start later in the evening, so I'm guzzling water with ice (I love chewing ice) to attempt to ward them off but know, no matter how much I drink, they'll come. Oh yes, they'll come. I drink more than two gallons of water a day, guzzling water at night until the restless legs shut up and settle down. I wake a few times in the night to pee, obviously, and drink more water, then wake in the morning and start guzzling. It's insane but my body is thirsty!
So what's new pussycat? My bridal shower is next weekend, put on by my sister, mother-in-law and sweet mama. As the day grows closer, I can't help but reminisce about my bridal shower three years ago. I'm not a big fan of being the center of attention and large groups, so at my bridal shower I had a few glasses of vino. Next weekend I'll have to suck it up sans vino (maybe by eating tons of cake) - I shouldn't complain because with twin boys coming we need all the free stuff we can get! Our strategy is to see what we receive at our shower and go from there.
Another new pregnancy element to keep me up at night is To Breastfeed Or Not To Breastfeed, That Is The Question! I took a 3-hour breastfeeding class today at the local hospital. Although I wasn't happy waking up early to drive an hour to class (yes, I know I should get used to lack of sleep), I'm glad I attended because I learned so much: latching on, sore nipples, increasing milk supply, breastfeeding positions and pumping. I've been reading about breastfeeding with twins in "Ready Or Not Here We Come" by Elizabeth Lyons. I know it's going to be hard, especially in the beginning when they are eating constantly and I need to increase my milk supply, but I want to give it my best shot. First, it will save money (unless I lose my mind and start seeing a shrink). Second, the health benefits are hard to ignore. Also, I heard from a few people an electric breast pump may be covered by my health insurance, so that's awesome! So, I may pump from the beginning and bottle-feed breastmilk or breastfeed the first two weeks to increase my supply and enjoy the bonding and then breastfeed while also bottle-feeding and pumping.
Breastfeeding makes me think about nature. How, as a woman, my body is designed to make a child, feed the child, help him or her grow, and push the child out and into the world. Then, my breasts (sorry men, they aren't just for ogling and coping a feel) are made to feed the child. Amazing. Who am I not to feed them this natural nectar created especially for them (maybe ask me after they're a week old to see how I feel about breastfeeding - haha).
However, my philosophy with this pregnancy is to do my best and not set my self up for failure! So whatever happens, happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment