Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Five Month Old Twins - Sleep, perchance to dream: Naps, naps, naps

A baby is crying. He's in the bassinet of a pack-n-play, where he napped for about 20 minutes. Obviously he awoke, remembering he's not with me on the floor of the living room, kicking his legs, spitting up all over and having a gay old time. Oh wait ... he stopped crying. I want to take a peek but don't know if he fell asleep or found something shiny for his wondering eyes because if the second reason is the case he will start bawling when he sees my big face.
Life through a baby's eyes. Creepy. One minute you're just waking up, the next minute a huge face appears from nowhere. Life must be one huge magic trick to babies. Huge monsters walking around while you wiggle on the floor. People making the cute-baby-face with their wide-eyed, wide-mouthed exclamations. Loud noises ... I could go on because everything is new to them. My twins are 23 weeks so they haven't been outside the womb longer than they've been inside. My mind is blown, which doesn't take much because I'm tired.
So, I rolled the dice and he's asleep. THANK THE LORD, SWEET JESUS. I like when they nap and leave me the hell alone a few times a day. Does that make me a bad mother? I don't care. However, how much should a baby nap?
I'm supposed to work towards two big naps a day -- morning and afternoon -- and I'm supposed to establish regular nap times. Right? I established a set bedtime routine: bath at 6 p.m. then you get butt pasted, diapered and lotioned up before footie pajamas, then Zantac, Tylenol if needed (welcome to Teething Central ladies and gentleman), a bottle, baby food (currently enjoying apples), then 1, 2, 3 ... down for the count. What about naps? Right now it's about every two hours. I don't set my watch by it, instead I look for cues. Baby A rubs his eyes, Baby B fusses. Also, I recently started not getting them from their nap unless they cry for more than five minutes because they often will go back to sleep for a while.
Baby B usually naps downstairs in his pack-n-play while Baby A is upstairs in his crib. Yesterday Baby B did well transitioning to his crib but not-so-much today. Problem with twins is while Baby B was wiggin' out, I didn't want Baby A to wake up. I know I should have made Baby B figure it out in his crib while assuring him everything is gonna be alright mon, but one upset baby is better than two. So, I tried to rock him but he wasn't having it so downstairs we went to his pack-n-play for a two minute cry before slumber.
Sigh. Is it 5 o'clock yet? On another note, for the moms of singletons in my life: the advice is appreciated but with a taste of annoyance because you don't know what it's like to have two babies at once and never will. Please, oh please, stop pretending you do because it ain't the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment