Monday, March 17, 2014

Five Month Old Twins: Oh God, one of them has a tooth

I am a stay-at-home mother of fraternal boys and Lord All Mighty I went on vacation last week. My husband had a work conference in Nashville, Tenn. (a plane ride away) and I tagged along while my in-laws watched the boys. I looked forward to the trip, and felt guilty for looking forward to the trip, but here I sit and it's as if I never went. Cest la vie.
However, I was glad to come home to my monsters. Had they changed? Grown an inch or gained a pound? Hard to tell but my youngest (by one minute) sprouted a tooth! So, that's why he's been fussing for 300 years! Tomorrow they will be 23 weeks so it's a tad early on the judgmental Baby Scale, especially since they were three weeks early, but babies reach milestones whenever the hell they want!
Hopefully his brother, Senor No Tooth, has been fussy lately because he, also, is sprouting a tooth. That's my answer for fussiness -- they are either teething or tired. I don't like to think it could be anything else, like RSV or a mysterious illness, because I ain't got time for that.
So, my boys were sleeping through the night (7 p.m.-ish to 4:30 a.m. or 5:30 a.m.-ish) but after our trip they are taking us back in time when nighttime was not the right time for sleep. Last night they woke at 2 a.m. Needless to say, hubby and I weren't x's and o's because we were tired!
I know many of you are pissed because I'm complaining about babies who slept for 7 hours instead of 9 hours or more. Honestly, I don't care because you get used to your situation, especially in a Twiniverse, and it's not like I go to bed at 7 p.m. along with them because mama needs some time alone! Every night is hopeful, especially since I need energy to wrangle little old men all day. I went from feeding every three hours (thinking how easy this was) to feeding every 2-3 hours but they wouldn't go back to sleep to slowly creeping to where we are now. I've lived the dark days of maybe one hour of sleep a night so hold your sass for an episode of Maury. Considering the baby with the tooth ate more food than usual today, I figure it's another growth spurt.
Ugh.
My babies are wearing 12 month clothing and, at their 4-month checkup, were 75% for weight and 97% for height. I feel guilty because many twin moms aren't so lucky so I don't talk about it much. The only downside is they are hungrier than they can hold. One of my boys is a happy spitter so most of it lands on me, the floor, his clothing, the back of his neck, his beloved bunny stuffed animal, and so on. We are trying out baby food, which is a slow process. I remind myself formula, feeding them baby food by fingertip, and other nonsense is a blip on the radar of life. Hard to remember when your son spits carrots in your face but true nonetheless.
Oh it's a carnival, a lonely circus with pathetic acts like the Incredibly Saggy Soft Body Lady Who Occasionally Cries In The Bathroom and The Baby Who Spits In Faces. However, it's my life and one of the things keeping me going is realizing it's constantly changing, they are constantly growing and I will have a life again. Also, bedtime is at 7 p.m. and wine time is at 7:01. Everything is better with wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment