Friday, August 16, 2013

29 Weeks Pregnant With Twin Boys - Glucose, Fatigue, Restless Legs, Mama Train Is Slowing Down

I'm 29 weeks pregnant with twin fraternal boys. I'm feeling more pregnant as each day passes -- fatigue, carpal tunnel, other aches and pains, moodiness, going from sitting to standing takes a few tries. I've upgraded from a confident strut to a less confident waddle.
However, I was feeling confident in my pregnancy until my latest doctor's appointment this past Monday. I learned I failed my one-hour glucose test by two points -- the cutoff point is 140 and I scored 142. My sister had gestational diabetes during her first pregnancy and then, shortly after giving birth, developed diabetes so I'm on edge. I'll be taking my three-hour glucose test Monday, so we shall see.
Later during my appointment I began to feel light headed, on the brink of passing out. My doctor had me lay down and took my blood pressure both at rest and sitting up. The results were normal so she recommended adding a small amount of sea salt to my diet (I don't eat a lot of processed food). It was scary but hasn't happened since, although it's been less than a week. I also complained about my hands -- they grow numb during the night and hurt in the morning and most of the day -- and was told it's most likely carpal tunnel so I bought a lovely beige hand brace with Velcro straps, the perfect accessory for late summer fashion. Who am I kidding? I've embraced the land of dressing in whatever still fits. I used the brace for the first time last night and it seems to help some (Before I literally couldn't stir my eggs in the morning for breakfast, my hand hurt that bad).
No, this isn't preclampsia or any of the other severely dangerous complications that can go along with a twin pregnancy but it was a bit of a shock after having a healthy time. You read horror stories online -- or hear them from rude strangers and friends -- but never think they'll happen to you. Hell, you can hardly wrap your head around being pregnant with twins in the first place, let alone adding complications into the mix.
However, as I venture further into the land of trying to be the nice person I want my sons to be, I should be grateful. I am 29 weeks pregnant with twins -- will be 30 weeks in three days -- and I am not on bedrest. I am able to do things like swimming and work, although I tire easily, and am overall doing well.
As I've read in the twins book I'm reading -- "Ready Or Not Here We Come" -- you need to have a sense of humor if you're going to survive mothering twins. At the same doctor's appointment this past Monday I got my RH factor shot -- I hardly passed biology so it might be better if you Google it instead of me giving you the gist.
Anyway, a nurse comes into my room and tells me she has my shot. I glance and notice a sizable needle and, as I am not a huge fan of needles, I mention its size and that I won't be looking while she pokes me. "Oh don't worry honey, I need to stick this into your butt so you won't be seeing anything anyway," she said. I thought my husband would die of laughter.
As we attempt to ready our home for babies and I attempt to keep them in my belly for as long as I can, I will remember to laugh, enjoy the silence, and be grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment