Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Shit Just Got Real: 13 Weeks Pregnant With Twins & Learned One Is A Boy

I went yesterday to a high risk doctor referred by my OB/GYN because I'm having twins. I noticed a pregnant woman drinking Diet Coke in the waiting room and almost gasped out loud but instead smiled because obviously I'm not doing so bad considering I'm not gulping down diet soda! P.S. I'm working on being a good person so, in turn, my children will be good people -- cursing, judging, bitching and moaning. It goes fairly well when I remember to follow the rules.
I didn't know what I was in for with this appointment, especially since I saw my regular doctor for a checkup the day before. All I knew was this checkup could only be held at the 12-13 week mark.
I was given a brochure on first trimester screening while in the waiting room and found they would be testing for Down Syndrome, trisomy 18 and neural tube defects -- which includes an ultrasound and a blood sample. I hardly had time to finish reading before I was whisked away to a lovely bland, sterile room for loosen-your-pants-here-comes-the-warm-goo-time.
Thirty+ minute sonogram/ultrasound (not sure which) later with a tough but tender tech, and I saw my babies on the big screen. The technology at this place was a large step up from my OB/GYN, so I was giddy as I saw their little faces and hands. Baby B serenely lounged and looked peaceful. Baby A ... well Baby A was face down with its butt in the air! What a clown!
As the tech worked to measure my babies necks (part of the screening), she asked what sexes I wanted. I replied I didn't know, I just want them to be happy and healthy. I used to think I wanted two boys because my 8-year-old niece has enough sass for the United States of America but then I thought, wouldn't it be nice to have both? I finally figured I didn't know so it's better to hope for health and happiness than penis or vagina. The tech casually asked me, "Do you want to know what I think?" I didn't think they'd know this early so my bewildered response of "Yes, I'd like to know what you think" lacked enthusiasm.
Well folks, she said she thought both were boys but wasn't sure about Baby A. However, she was definitely sure of Baby B because, ladies and gentleman, we saw penis! My husband is floating on a cloud. I'm happy but not as happy as him because he wanted at least one boy. To me the news hit me like a slap in the face because shit got real. There's something definitive about knowing one of them is a boy. It makes all this concrete. A son. Excitement and fear is pulling me in separate directions so here I sit in the dazed zone - this must be how Ryan Lochte feels all the time! Also, the idea of two boys scares me because I'll be outnumbered three to one!
There are babies growing inside me and one of them is a boy and they will be here in less than 27 weeks. I could repeat this in the mirror until my voice gives out but I can't wrap my head around the news. It is the craziest news I've ever heard! I've read it doesn't become real for a woman until the baby (babies) kick and for a man until they are born, so I've got time and this is normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment