Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Pregnancy First Trimester: Pass the crackers, ginger ale and carbs, carbs, carbs

Captain's Log, Stardate March 20, 2013:
I'm eight-and-a-half weeks pregnant with twins and I almost threw up at work yesterday. Classy, I know. It came on suddenly while I was listening to my boss on the phone. Yes, listening. I replied with mumbles in hopes she'd finish our conversation then, when she finally did, quickly leaned over the trash can and drooled.
The vomit did not come so I'm still vomit free, so far.
Turns out my prenatal vitamin was to blame, more or less. I didn't take it yesterday and felt better - not great but not drooling into a plastic 10-gallon wastebasket from Staples. Spoke with the good doctor yesterday and started a new vitamin today and feel OK, relatively speaking.
There's the fatigue, which is steady with random peaks throughout the day. The queasiness, the slowed brain function, the food aversions, the heightened sense of smell.
Pre-pregnancy I ate healthy the majority of the week - eggs/yogurt, fruit and grain for breakfast, snack (usually 150 calories of popcorn), meat, fruit and vegetables for lunch, snack (usually an apple), serving of nuts, and meat, fruit, vegetables for dinner. I was OK with this. Now, I can't stomach my beloved popcorn (can hardly stand the smell as I continue to prepare it for my husband), meats (typically baked chicken or turkey burgers) are tough to get through, most vegetables make me want to barf (except raw carrots). As for crackers and bread, I'm typically good to go. I try to drink a lot of water - was told a gallon a day - but am in love with natural ginger ale made with ginger root. Mmm. Mama like. I have a small one daily.
My pants are tight even though I haven't gained weight (yet), my bra is small, my sense of smell is superhero-like and I've been fantasizing about homemade biscuits, like soft, buttery biscuits, maybe even the cheesy ones from "Red Lobster." I've also fantasized about thick milkshakes, pickles, gooey ice cream, french fries with loads of ketchup, crispy macaroni and cheese, and a huge bowl of ziti with red sauce and Parmesan. My husband is still slim and trim which, hubba hubba, is nice but also frustrating as I verge on the greatest expansion of my life.
I am looking forward to my babymoon - second trimester - and hope the crap I read about women pregnant with multiples having morning sickness throughout the pregnancy is baloney. Eww, baloney, barf.

No comments:

Post a Comment